Tuesday, July 7, 2026

Summer........

... long hot days for nearly all of June 100+ days ... not really cool at night... no rain.. you may hear of rain in TX but not where i'am in TX... Remember last post i mentioned a Chalk Art Contest at the Museum... ? Well it was a whole Family Day thing.. Not one of us won at the Chalk Art but it was loads of fun! 


As part of Family Day we each got a slab of Air Dry clay to play with...  I could not think of a thing to make so i was looking around the room and saw a poster of a snail.. SNAIL!  and i eventually painted him my signature love copper... I think he turned out pretty stinking cute!! :)
This Summer i finally found something to grow in my Mother in Laws cast iron pot.. I inherited it from her a few years ago and i just LOVE it.. Last year i tried Petunias (I LOVE Petunias) and Sweet Potato Vine... they couldn't  handle the heat.. I don't know if it was just the Tx heat or i think the metal pot heats the soil up quite a bit... Anyway this year i bought Moss Rose or Portulaca... And so far.. 'knock on wood' it seems to be in fine form.. I may have just found the perfect plant for it.. 

AND my SunFlowers.... now these are special this year as these are the first ones i have successfully transplanted to where i wanted them.. the trick is... to get them young (the leaves are very easy to spot amongst the other weeds)  and just dig them up in a shovelful , not disturbing the roots !! very important... and just popping them in a hole you already dug... water in... they droop some  but give them a couple hours or by the next morning they pop back up.. whew!  Now i don't have to have them just wherever they pop up.. 




This is where i sit on my laptop....  mostly in the morning with my coffee.... Morning is my computer time... i watch videos of my favorite creators on YouTube and i like to sit there and draw or sketch my own thing while they ramble on... lol  I also visit my favorite blogs over coffee.. 
This is my current doodle after that Winged Alien MerMaid...lol  I used a mixture of Prismacolor and Crayola colored pencils... the Crayola does not blend as well as the Prismacolor with Gamsol but i just grabbed what i had on hand.. 

I hope your having a fabulous Summer....School is creeping up on us... this year BOTH my GrandLittles will be in school... little sad about it...less Grandma time :( but forward we must go... Thanks so much for stopping by ! Hugs! deb

4 comments:

  1. I’ve entered your art into today’s challenge with your permission

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your snail is too stinking cute and so it the winged bug in your MIL's pot. Good luck with the portulaca and the sunflowers are so pretty. Cool doodle. It reminds me of the Sclupy clay people used to make beads with. Stay cool

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good morning early-I am back to waking up in the middle of the night again. Enjoyed all of your photos. I have given up on petunias here-I don't think it is the pot but the extreme heat. I have a huge copper pot that Larry had when we first got together-it already had holes drilled in the bottom-what a way to destroy an expensive piece-and here in Missouri petunias are usually a waste of money as they can't take the high heat at all so I stopped buying them and switched to perennials I have a bee balm planted in that pot now.
    Loving your sunflowers and other plants-all looking good. and I always enjoy seeing your art hugs

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your little snail is adorable. And copper color makes it even more special.

    I have grown portulaca and ice plants in holes in rocks I drilled. They grow just about anywhere as long as you don't over water them and give them lots of sun.

    Your sunflowers are different than mine. Mine only flower in September.

    I like your doodles. Not MY thing, but I enjoy seeing yours, Deb. Enjoy your summer. Mine is spent under the AC.

    ReplyDelete