Wednesday, April 20, 2022

7up Cake turned Diet Sprite Cake....

 

Its Food Wednesday! Over there at Hummingbird Studio at the Lake... and i baked a cake!!! 


I did substitute Diet Sprite for the called for 7up... 


Wouldn't you know it i didn't have enough regular flour... I could do it all in Cake Flour but ofcourse the recipe didn't call for that.. I ended up using 2 cups of regular flour and one cup of Cake Flour...


And the recipe didn't call for it but i'm thinking ..Sprite... lemon lime flavor so i added some lime zest...Blame it on all the baking shows i watch..lol  Either thats a good idea or people will be picking lime zest out of their teeth... 


     The Sprite made everything bubble up nicely... 


             In the oven we go! Fingers crossed! 


I had such a TERRIBLE time getting the cake out of the pan... Seriously began thinking this was going to be a disaster food post... But whew... it finally popped out with only a little boo boo... 


But look what got left in the pan.... ?? It was thick and gooey and sweet... I don't know why it did that.. I'm sure thats what made it difficult to get out.. Maybe soda cakes do that? 


I made the glaze that was a part of the recipe... But let me say 2 Tbs of lemon extract was NOT going to mix up 1 cup of powdered sugar.. Unless ya'all know something i don't... So i added a little water .. and ended up adding too much water .. If you look close you can see most of the glaze ran off and is lying on the bottom of the plate..


Also the glaze was lumpy... perhaps i should have put it through a strainer.. ahhhh hindsight.. But... 


                            As you can tell....

None of the mishaps affected the taste of the cake in my professional opinion... Hubs and i each had s slice and passed it on to some family to finish the rest! Yum! Happy Food Wednesday! Hugs! deb


8 comments:

  1. Awesome Deb that you made a cake! Did you spread a tiny bit of oil or butter and then dust the pan with flour first? that will help sometimes I usually "cheat" and use my angel food cake pan for some other cakes as the pan comes apart from the bottom. I have never bought a bundt pan for some reason Sounds delicious and nice you are able to share too hugs
    Thanks for sharing with us on Food Wednesdays

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's great Deb! It looks so delicious! I made a cake with Dr. Pepper once and I got that gooeyness too. Btw I love picking lime zest out of my teeth lol! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The last 2 times I made bundt cakes they got stuck in the pan. Even when I read you should grease the pan with crisco. Plus I also added Pam spray. I'm going to give it one more try and then the pan is out-of-here. If anything sticks. Your cake looks delicious. I've never tried a soda cake but it sounds fun. And I can't make glaze for the life of me,and if it drips, it drips. It just needs to taste good. Thanks for sharing this idea. I love it. hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
  4. From the empty place I can see that the cake was delicious - fabulous! I would have never thought to put any kind of soda in any kind of food (I don't like soda as you can tell). However, I do remember that back in Germany we often used the carbonated water for baking and the results were always good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wonder if the problem you had was because of the artificial sweetener in the diet soda instead of the sugar. Some chemical thing did or did not happen. With the cake sticking, I would guess that's from not greasing and flouring the pan. I use a spray product called Baker's Joy. It's like PAM but has flour in it too. Works a treat. Either way, your cake looks delicious and no one complained. That's the end result you want.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks delicious despite a few missing bits left in the pan. I love that you added the lime zest. I haven't made a soda cake in years!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I bake like that all the time! I seldom use a recipe when making other dishes too which drives Joe crazy sometimes because I never write down what I used. It's pretty much 'whatever I have on hand' cooking.

    ReplyDelete