Tuesday, March 8, 2022

Adventures in Baking............Bran-Rolls

 

Here we gooooo!!  If you'll remember from a previous post i mentioned i wanted to start baking again... I've missed it!  Surely my diet can handle one baked bread item and one sweet item a month... thats the plan!   First recipe in the Bread section of the book is an All-Bran Roll..... 
Never had a Bran Roll in my life as far as i know... You?

Now i'm reading the recipe and all it says is one cup of All Bran...hmmm... for those that don't know its a type of breakfast cereal... really hard and crunchy..high in fiber..  I got to wondering if i needed to crush it up you know... Didn't say to... But i figure what the heck.. can't hurt... right?!  So i did... 
Above is the boiling water, shortening, sugar, All-Bran, and salt.... Looks appetizing ! ... ummm ... noooo 
Next it was time for the yeast.... YIKES!... I have never worked with yeast before in my life... I have to admit yeast intimidates me... The directions say dissolve yeast in 1 cup of warm water.. let rise for 5 min... Now i KNOW in the back of my mind after watching a bajillion baking shows that yeast needs sugar... But it doesn't saaay that... So going off script here i add a little sugar in there too... Right? Wrong? i have no idea but above is the action i was getting.. 
Add the eggs and yeast to the All-Bran mix and stir... 

Now i'm suppose to cover and refrigerate overnight.... WHAT? I thought the dough had to be warm to rise... but hey i'm back on script and following directions... 
In the morning i pull out the dough , separate it into rolls and place on buttered cookie sheets... and let it set for 2 hours... I honestly expected them to rise more... nope... should they have?? 
About 18 minutes in the oven... they look yummy and they are rising some... YES!
Honestly they look good... Next time i make rolls i will work harder to make them pretty... this time i was too freaked out trying to do the yeast right...lol 

But for now they taste good!  I gifted everyone i know with Bran Rolls... lol  A funny gift to be passing around...lol But no way did i want all that bread in the house... Thats the rule... I'll bake but i have to give most of it away... I tell everyone once or twice a month bread and dessert is on me!! :)   Don't forget to go check out Kathy's Food Wednesday over there at Hummingbird Studio at the Lake... Thats where all us 'Foodies' are gathering... Hope your having a wonderful start to your week! Hugs! deb

8 comments:

  1. Good morning Deb, This is a bread recipe I am thinking my Mom would have made, she always had that cereal in the house. For your first yeast bread you did good. hugs.
    The biggest thing with the yeast is not to have the water too hot or it will kill the yeast, it needs to be lukewarm and I like to add sugar or honey to the yeast water too. and I think that was a good idea to grind up the bran, and some yeast recipes will sit in the frig for a slow rise. I am glad you found neighbors to share your rolls with too. Great tutorial Deb and thank you for linking up for Food Wednesdays Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've had all-bran muffins but never rolls. I bet they are good good. And bran is good for us, right? I'll need to check these out so thanks for sharing with us. Hope your week is going well. hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've made bran muffins, but they used bran flour and baking powder. I suspect it was the same as ground-up cereal (but cost less). Since the recipe came from the cereal company, that's obviously what they want you to use.

    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never baked with all-bran. The yeast will proof without sugar, but will proof faster and look foamy with a little sugar added. Your rolls look delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ohhh Deb, I am impressed! For your first time baking with yeast and using All Bran you succeeded in a huge way. The muffins looks great. The rise is excellent too. Even if the recipe doesn't call for sugar in the yeast I add just a bit to get it going faster. A wonderful addition is giving them away. Have a great day today.

    ReplyDelete
  6. They look great - hope you don’t get too tempted by your own baked goods, Chrisx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your mortar looks cool! Ours is a boring grey/white.
    Yeast... some adventure!
    Love your cuppa!
    Dumb question #1: they are not sweet, are they?
    #2... cornflakes (unsweetened) do the job as well, would they?

    They look yummy for sure! And giving away makes me smile every time.
    I tried to share cookies from hell and lasagna with my 81-year old neighbor. He gobbled down the lasagna, but the chilli-cookies, huhhh, they really were... too hot! Well, I´m a beginner in this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It was simply delightful to reconnect with you again, Deb. Sorry I'm late visiting. I was without power for nearly 16 hours on Tuesday and am still trying to play catch up.

    I've used yeast a couple of times and have never had good results. I'm not a baker, though. I admire your resolve and think you did a fabulous job. I love your beautiful mortar and pestal. Mine came from Mexico and I think yours is much prettier. I probably would have ground the bran in my spice grinder. It is supposed to be a coffee bean grinder, but I have dedicated it to spices, instead. I use my other grinder to grind my beans.

    Congrats again on your first ever attempt at yeast baking. Wonderful post.

    ReplyDelete