Wednesday, March 30, 2022

Late to the Party...

 

............the food party that is over at Kathy's at Hummingbird Studios at the Lake... Thank you to those who visit me late. :)  A couple of weeks ago i made my son in law his favorite cake.. Since i'am on this baking 'quest'.. i didn't want to make him a box cake.. nope, nope, nope...  I was going to do it from scratch.. His favorite cake is a yellow cake with chocolate frosting.. Never made one in my life... maaaybe a box cake a looong time ago but never from scratch... I found this recipe on Pinterest... Yellow Cake with Chocolate Frosting.  You can check it out.. I was not that impressed but I must say that it all got eaten.. most of it by the Birthday boy.... The cake came out kinda heavy and a little dry.. and the icing.. well... lets just say most of us are not Dark Chocolate eaters... we are Milk Chocolate eaters.. So for me the icing had a 'wang' i just didn't care for... If anyone has a yellow cake and chocolate icing recipe they love and would like to share with me it would be much appreciated and i can try it again.. I have no idea if it was me or the recipe.. I hope you all are having a great week!! Hugs! deb

PS... If you'll pop in here you can see what i entered in the Art Competition here at the Stock Show and Rodeo... No word yet on how i did... It doesn't open for visitors until Friday.... stay tuned... 

7 comments:

  1. Your cake looks delicious Deb, I was never good with cakes except for my Grandma's yellow angel food cake-I always got results with that one and usually make during the spring so I should surprise Larry with one.
    good for you attempting something new-hugs hoping someone can help you with a recipe Thanks for linking up with Food Wednesdays=hugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bet he loved it - if for the gesture!!
    You know what my FIL cooked especially for me?
    Tongue!!! Ewwww.
    He disliked the woman his other Son´d married and this seems to be the ultimate family test. She refused.
    I ate my portion (with tons of potatoes).
    And must say. The meat itself is yummy, but the brain played with me.

    You sure made a nicer point, LOL! Hugs :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The cake looks good. But sorry to hear it was a little dry. I really like this cake from King Arthur Flour's recipes, https://www.kingarthurbaking.com/recipes/golden-vanilla-cake-recipe), but its not really yellow. I figured I'd include the link anyhow. I haven't made a box cake in forever myself, but I did try using a doctored cake recipe awhile back. Actually it made a quick bread, I'll have to look for what I did with that recipe. Hope all is well with you Deb. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks like it turned out great. Like you, I'm not a fan of dark chocolate. As far as the dark side I'll go is semi-sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think your cake looks great! Admittedly I have no idea what yellow cake is and I don't really like frosting, but this was for your boy and if he liked it, that is the most important thing. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Deb!! Oh I'm not good with cakes...I usually make cakes that have fruits or veggies in them because I always find them too dry or too heavy! As for icing, I usually stick with cream cheese based icings or ganache!! Ganache is DECADENT...

    ReplyDelete