Wednesday, May 25, 2022

Step into my Pantry........

 

             Come on... its this way... follow me... 


You can barely read it on the frosted glass but trust me.. it says... 'pantry'... incase you forgot where we were going.. lol 


Do you have a pantry? For most of my life the answer would have been no... But in the last 10 years we've had 3... The first was the house in CA that we had built.. a small one.. THEN the house in AR we remodeled hubby put one in... a small one too.. Now this one... came with the house.. 


And its the largest one yet... I often struggle with what to put in a pantry.. still... to this day i struggle with that.. 

This one came with a window.. first time with a window in a pantry.. Why would you put a window in a pantry? I think it was more for the aesthetics for the outside of the house.. 

I bought some film to go over the window but as you can see i haven't made that happen yet.. 


Hubby always wants me to buy a bajillion veggies... But i can't help but think are we really gonna survive on veggies .. So i keep some things in the pantry ... mainly to please him.. But even after 10 years keeping a pantry is a struggle for me.. So my burning question is.. If you have a pantry.. what do you keep in it? Happy Food Wednesday! Hugs! deb
 


6 comments:

  1. Hi Deb, wow you are fortunate to have this large pantry.
    I have never had a designated pantry. Now though I have three really nice cabinets that I am using. Larry fixed one that came with the house and was broken, so was glad the owner left it-that one actually belonged in the kitchen and he put it back where it should go. That one is filled with all sorts of food items-canned meats, broths, salad dressing, oils, jello, lots of staples. I also have two vintage cabinets we cleaned up-and the one is filled with canned goods-fruits, beans, salsas, spagehti sauces etc. and the other cabinet I share with some dishes and large bowls I would not part with that is also filled with crackers, pastas, snack foods. In this same room (my computer weaving room) is a closet that had shelves-that is filled up with cleaning items, ziplok bags, parchment paper, freezer paper, and more like that. so my pantry is spread out I also did set up the basement with sturdy shelving that now holds empty canning jars of all sizes.
    Now when I was canning ( I need a gas stove to do that safely now) that was usually stored in the basement on shelving as well in the past-I have canned up to 1000 jars a year for us in many years when I was also working full time and we had a very large veggie garden for that purpose. I have to say I loved it-and loved looking at all my jars filled up with foods.
    I agree a pantry should not have a window in it (sorry for the long post-I have always had enough food and supplies at our home-except fresh-for close to a year)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so well organized! Now I really need to do something with my messy pastry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funny post! When I was into flat sharing whilst studying in one we really did have a pantry - full to the brim, not one item was mine.
    The house we live in is old (a party of 14, we own one small condo), was built before toilets were inside, so the kitchen was divided - tiny toilet (with tiny wash-basin) and behind space for our washing machine and a small cupboard, does that count as very disorganized pantry?
    Too little space, all crammed in and I tend to find things that are not good to eat since... 3+ years!
    Yours looks so great! Lucky you :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome! I don't think I've ever seen a pantry that big or tidy!. I have a "pantry" There was a closet built of the basement stairs in the dining room. Himself and I put shelving in there and turned the closet into a pantry. I try to keep the shelves organized, but... pasta, canned tomatoes, tomato paste, jar spaghetti sauce, tea, drink mixes, salad dressings, cooking oil, baking stuff, snacks, paper goods. Everything usually in a jumble 😸

    ReplyDelete
  5. I fear a pantry is a very personal preference. I built my own shelving in my laundry room when I lived in MO. I used 12 inch boards (2 X 12). I measured the height of large cans, medium cans (like what corn and peas come in), soup cans, and short cans (tuna, etc) and made shelves that tall. No double and triple stacking for me. I divided the 12 foot length of the room into thirds, with the canned goods in the center. On the left side were non food non perishables, like coffee, etc. On the right were laundry and cleaning supplies and essentials like shower soaps, etc. Each shelf was a different height. On the bottom shelves, I had my laundry detergent and my cat and dog food containers. That worked for me, but it might not be what others would have found helpful. I miss my pantry. Here, I use cupboards and stack food three high, which is very inconvenient if I want the can on the bottom shelf. I also have no idea when I am running low on a certain item because it is not evident. You are truly lucky, Deb. BTW, I had a window in my pantry/laundry room, but it didn't divide the shelving.

    ReplyDelete