Tuesday, December 27, 2022

T stands for ...... I'm Late... again...

 

That seems to be just the way it is for the month of December anyway... and i don't even have an excuse like hubs hospital emergency .. Its just been a BUSY couple of days..  I 'think' about a post on Sunday... then forget and don't remember until Tuesday morning.. Well here i'am... next week i hope to show you what became of those little snowmen in the above picture.. but today... 


............i will tell you that hub' hand is just fine... stitches are out... its still questionable ... to us anyway if he'll get to keep the tip of his ring finger... but other than that he's fine and plans to play golf in 70 F weather this week.. 


i don't know if you have any feelings for Amaryllis.. I have a soft spot for them... My Grandmother had a small round flower bed full of just them in Florida and as long as the temp didn't dip too low they were fine..  There are alot more 'flavors' now. She would have loved them.. So everywhere i live i try to collect them and i sure am tired of moving and giving them away.. 


When i lived in TX previously i gave my 'babies' to my Mother in law when we moved to CA, but try as she might , they died on her... I didn't get any in the 3 years in  CA, then in Arkansas i collected 3 more... When we left Arkansas my friend Josephine was nice enough to adopt them and she has sent me beautiful pictures of them thriving.. Now back in TX i have collected 3 more at 50% off.. and honestly the shape they were in .. i paid too  much... 


I dug around the boxes and found the best 3 bulbs i could find and it WAS a search...  By this time they are starved for light and water..  But as long as the bulb is still firm and shows some kind of life either in roots or stem.. you have a chance.. 


I like to drill holes in the bottom of the pots.. I use the pots they come in just to make sure they are going to survive before i invest in a good pot.. Amaryllis do NOT like to stay wet.. That is probably the biggest downfall when you try to grow them.. Water them well with good drainage and let them dry out good before you water them again.. 


I put rocks in the bottom and mix some charcoal with it.. I would especially do this if you do not intend to drill holes.. That way if you do have any water sit in the bottom it does not smell.. I started adding charcoal several years ago and it has served me well.. Maybe the plants like it other than just stopping it from smelling .. i don't know.. 


There they are .. all in a row.. sitting in the best light i have in this house, which is not the best.. Notice i do not bury the bulb all the way.. The one closest to you looking at it now i wish i would have buried it a little more.. like the others.. but for now that will be okay.. 


So meet Ferrari,  Tinkerbell , and Arabian Night!!! 

Cross your fingers.. Arabian Night was probably in the worst shape .. the bulb was a little soft... But its the one trying to put out a flower.. If i was smart i would probably cut it off.. and let the bulb conserve its energy ... but i haven't the heart.. For now the trick will be learning how best to water these.. Keeping them wet enough but not too wet..  By the way... the dirt they come with is probably the best dirt for them.. it drains and dries out quickly which is what they need.. The bulb likes to be a little rootbound too so don't be in a hurry to transplant into a bigger pot..  I hope you enjoyed this . Have you grown Amaryllis before ? If you haven't i hope this might encourage you to give one you find on an After Christmas Sale a try.. They just need a little love.. I'm on the lookout for a red/white one called Starlight.. and theres another red one called Red Lion.. fun , fun.. 


i want to thank you for checking back for latecomers to the party and being kind enough to visit AND read all the way to the bottom of this long post . Just for doing that, I'd like to offer a GiveAway of one of these bracelets... As you know my blog is Learning2JustBreathe so you know when i found these metal tags on CLEARANCE i just had to have them..  I added the leather clip ons , which were on CLEARANCE too!!!  Yes, i'm a the clearance /sale QUEEN...lol There's no shame in that! lol Well i'd love to give one away.. Sadly only to those that live in the USA..  If you'd like me to put your name in the hat please let me know in a comment.. I'll do the drawing in time for the next T party!! Happy T day! Hugs! deb


12 comments:

  1. Hi Deb, what a great post. Yes I love amarylis bulbs very much. for a few years at the woods house I had sooo many as they all multiplied well-I ended up finding homes for them. Last year I bought a lovely one that was pink never thought to save the packaging for the variety. I bloomed twice with 4 blooms each stalk-that was wonderful-once no fear of cold temps I planted it in my garden where the bulb grew quite large. before the frost I potted it up in a large pot and brought it in the house-it sits in front of the wall of windows. after a month it shot up a leaf so I started watering-no bloom stalk yet-it may skip a year I am thinking. thanks for the tip to not over water-I am bad at that with house plants.
    I love your bracelets so yes please add my name for the drawing.
    I figure never too late for T hugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are not the only one that's late. I got the day wrong, and didn't realize it was Tuesday until I went to the council office and they have a big sign with the day and date (and the time).
    I love amaryllis! I get one every year. (And I hint at people that I love them as they make excellent presents as they are not expensive.) I have a few sitting by the window that have flowered last year and now they have pretty leaves. They were triple flowering ones. Very beautiful.
    And this year I haven't got a flowering one as I'm away.
    What about the snow men....?
    I'm sorry to be late but happy T-Day and a happy New Year!,
    Hugs,
    Lisca

    ReplyDelete
  3. My mom was always fond of amaryllis, so thanks for this post. (I just lost Mom back in November). I've never tried them myself. It stinks when your toilets freeze. What a storm, eh? I hope things stay warm for you and that it was a great T day. Happy new year too. I hope you have a super start to 2023. hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, please!! Put me in the drawing hat, please. Be a good reminder for me these days--lol!
    I have never tried to grow an Amaryllis. I think it might be risky for an Amaryllis bulb to live with me...even with your advice. I might not have enough sunlight, either. But I hope you share with us how these three do. They look like they are flourishing!
    Happy New Year!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad your husband's hand is mending and hope he keeps the tip. The hand drawings are cool. Hoping all three of your plants make it - so special to have a flower you feel connected to. We are not good with indoor plants or flowers of any king, but hope to be one day. Lovely bracelets with great words. Happy T-day and Happy New Year. Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  6. Late here, too. Oh, no. Hospital for Christmas. Fun way to let us know all is good!
    Ingo´s Granma had an Amaryllis in the very little "hall" when you entered.
    LOL. I make notes going through posts and the next pic... like an alien! It has everything, a face, arms, legs, spooky!
    I lived with THAT for years?!
    You moved a lot!
    Yes, Hubby drills holes into pots, too - where else is water to go, we don´t wanna drown plants, do we.
    Ah! Thank you! I used that plastic you get in the mail for the balcony-flowers. I do have charcoal and will change it!

    Nice pots.

    WHAT is it today?!
    Ingo comes in, asking me to change TV-channel. Ferrari (car - we love Magnum PI and The Simpsons). Went over to Lisca´s place - Ferrari (wine), now yours... Ferrari (flower).
    Am I in some experiment? "Mimimi" (Beaker)?

    Either way: Fingers and toes crossed the Beauties make it!

    Fun idea - nice idea qith the bracelets!
    I am a bit sad living in Germany but after a pressie went all the way from Australia to here, back and forth I ... no! ATM I do not send anything out of Germany.
    De facto give-aways land in a nice parcel for anyone to take. That´s how we "roll" here in Braunschweig. But I like your idea!
    A very belated T-Day and hugs

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Deb, never grown Amaryllis, but it might not like the cold here. Pretty flowers though. Thanks for your visit, Happy Holidays and Happy T Day! Elle/EOTC xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. My mom had a green thumb. She had lots of amaryllis, but her specialty was African Violets. Because many plants are toxic to cats, the only plant in the house and safe for kitties is the orchid the Eldest sent me. Oh, and the Peace Lily she left when she moved out. The lily is in the studio where the kitties are not allowed. Toss my name in the hat, please. Happy T Day

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have saw Amaryllis in the store recently, but I didn't really know how to take care of them. Thanks for sharing all of this, it was really informative.
    Loved seeing the makeover you gave the charms and cord. They turned into beautiful bracelets. I would love to be in the hat.
    Happy Belated Tea Day,
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is a wonderful post. I love seeing how you plant the Amaryllis. I never thought of using charcoal. So glad your husband's hand is better. Haaa there is no shame at all in being the sales queen. It's how I shop too. These are really beautiful. Wishing you and yours the best 2023.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your host is even later than you. I have been sick all day, even though I read your post last night. I bought two amaryllis on clearance at an Ace Hardware and they were dead when I got them home. Mushy and rotten looking. The store wouldn't take them back because they didn't believe it was their fault. And I paid $7.00 for each, too. I'm hoping you have better luck. That was my only experience with them. That was two years ago and I have decided I will never try to grow them. I LOVE your ideas, though. I look forward to seeing them bloom.

    You really ARE the queen of clearance sales. What fantastic bargains you found. Thanks for sharing your Eye mug and snowmen with us, along with amaryllis and the hand drawings for T this week, dear Deb.

    And yes, you can put my name in the hat for the giveaway, even though I feel a bit guilty since I have been so incredibly late visiting.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fabulous that your hubbys hand is on the mend, sending him healing thoughts and wishes! Loving those bracelets, you are the queen of clearance sales and I'm in awe of your crafting skills 😊. I always buy amaryllis as Christmas presents for family and friends, and they are always well received; they are so beautiful to watch grow and flower this time of year. Wishing you all the best for 2023, Happy T Day wishes and Happy New Year! Hugs Jo x

    ReplyDelete